Make Yourself

True Leader And Public Servant


True Leader And Public Servant Image
I know leadership is not about position or title. It's not about power or authority. It's not about status or wealth. Leadership is about character, competency, and credibility. It's about influence and relationships. But none of these statements was so convincing to me until I met Lynn Wehrman and had a chance to work with her at MnDOT on some projects in the last couple of years.

Wehrman had no title, no official position and no power at MnDOT, but she was one of the best leaders I personally know, respect and admire. She has the character, competency, and credibility. She is one of the most skilled, talented and competent employees I have known. She can get things done efficiently and effectively that might take a few people to do. She had passion and worked with enthusiasm on projects on her job and outside of

her normal job. Her influence and relationship touched people beyond MnDOT to

other state agencies and positively impacted people's lives. She was a great

public servant who puts the public interests at the front.

Sadly, Wehrman left her 6 year career at MnDOT last week to pursuit a more fulfilling career on her own. Before Wehrman left her job, I had a chance to interview her and talk with her about leadership.

Tang: Whom do you admire as a leader, and why?

Wehrman: My former boss at Norwest Bank who empowered me and gave me autonomy to do my job. When I started my job there, the first thing he told me was: "I don't know how to do your job. You are the expert in your area. My job is to support you so you can do your job and do it well." He is the boss by which all other bosses are measured. He doesn't even know he had such an influence on me, because I never told him.

Tang: This is a good example of a leadership moment that can happen anywhere, anytime and to anyone, sometimes people don't even realize it but its effect can be felt years later. What are some of the most important lessons you have learned as a leader and employee?

Wehrman: A leader who doesn't appreciate and support his/her people can kill their enthusiasm and take their enthusiasm and engagement and turn it into disillusionment and despair.

Tang: What are the most critical attributes to successful leadership?

Wehrman: As the leader, you are the glue that meshes together the talents and skills and brings people and things together. You are the facilitator. You must work harder than anyone else. You have to give recognition when credit is due and take responsibilities when something is wrong. You are the servant. Leadership is humility, not glamorous. You make people feel included and appreciated. You believe something should be done and then do it, not do it with selfish expectation, because what you can get out of it and what's in it for you.

The by-product of being a good and effective leader is recognition, respect, satisfaction. But they are not the primary purpose and motive in the first place.

Tang: What is the hardest part of becoming a leader?

Wehrman: Not micromanaging people, being open to other ideas and opinions, looking at yourself first before pointing fingers at others, keeping expectations out of the game, letting go of the need to feel right and to feel you are the smartest one.

Tang: What challenges do you see that leaders face in government?

Wehrman: Incentive to be complacent and corrupt, little support in creating things that benefit the public.

Tang: In what ways have you seen people in non-leadership positions use power and influence?

Wehrman: Being persistent and patient is important. Ask and educate are the keys to achieve what you want.

Last week I received the following good-bye email from Wehrman that she sent to a few friends.

"Today has been my last day as a State of Minnesota employee. I will be leaving to a new venture and am content about the work I was privileged to accomplish, and the people I got to know, as a public servant.

I just wanted to say thank you for working with me, beside me and for allowing me in your life for the past 6 years. I will carry the memory of you, and what we shared as coworkers and volunteers, in my heart as I move into the next exciting phase."

As I read it, I felt a great loss for myself and for MnDOT and for the State of Minnesota, for losing a good friend, a talented employee and a great public servant. On the other hand, I am happy for her to have successfully started her own company WeCO in providing website accessibility and become her own boss. I am convinced that she will be successful in her new venture.

Labels: pua alpha male  alpha male posture  leadership types  alpha male humans  alpha male characteristics  alpha male dog  online dating vancouver  top free online dating  on line dating advice  

0 comments:

Post a Comment